23 April 2021
Banana bread is the classic solution for using up overripe bananas. They are perfect for baking, as they add natural sweetness and a springy texture.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
3-4 ripe bananas (approx. 425g)
100g vegetable spread
75g soft dark brown sugar
3 tsp ground cinnamon
300g self-raising flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
50ml Alpro Plain No Sugars alternative to yogurt
8 soft ready to eat dates, chopped (or other dried fruit)
75g walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 170oC fan, 180oC conventional, gas 4.
2. Grease or line a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin.
3. Place all the ingredients except the walnuts, dates and Alpro Plain No Sugars, in a food processor or a large bowl and blend with the processor or hand-held blender, until smooth.
4. Stir in the Alpro Plain No Sugars, most of the walnuts and dates then spoon into the prepared loaf tin. Level off the surface.
5. Sprinkle the remaining pieces of dates and walnuts over the surface.
6. Cook in the oven for 1 hour or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Best eaten within 4 days – once cooled, place in an airtight container.