19 August 2021
This quick rice pudding recipe is cooked on the hob instead of in the oven to save time. The fruit compote is a great way to use up leftover fruits.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
100g Arborio or pudding rice
1L Alpro Almond drink
2 tsp almond extract
100ml Alpro Plain alternative to yogurt
For the fruit compote:
200g mixture of fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries (or frozen mixed berries, or other seasonal soft fruit e.g., plums)
Zest & juice of 1 orange
1 tsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp of the orange juice
2 tbsp honey or sugar
1. Pour the rice into a medium-sized pan, add the Alpro Almond drink followed by the almond extract and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Test to make sure the rice is cooked but still has a ‘bite’ to it. Ideally, it should have a slightly runny and creamy consistency.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes then stir in the Alpro Plain alternative to yogurt.
4. To make the fruit compote: place fruit in a liquidiser or use a hand blender to blitz into a rough purée. In a small saucepan, blend the cornflour and 1 tbsp juice to a smooth paste, add the mixed fruit purée, orange zest and juice and honey/sugar and cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously until it thickens.
5. Serve rice pudding hot or cold with the fruit compote.
You can use any combination of Alpro drink and Alpro alternatives to yogurt. For a tropical rice pudding: the rice pudding can be prepared with Alpro Coconut drink and Alpro Plain with Coconut alternative to yogurt and top with tropical fruits such as mango or pineapple, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes or use canned varieties.