Full Time Meals: Potato Pancakes and Cowboy Beans
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the pancakes:
For the beans:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small handful of frozen onions
1 small handful of frozen mixed vegetables
A splash of malt vinegar
3-4 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 tin of baked beans
4 slices of wafer-thin ham (optional)
A handful of grated cheese, to serve (optional)
- Peel and chop the potatoes and then put these in a bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film and prick this a couple of times with a knife, then pop it in the microwave for 10 minutes on full power
- Remove the cling film and add the milk to the bowl, then crush the potato with a fork, mixing in the milk as you do. Crack in the eggs and mix to combine. Add the self-raising flour, baking powder and a bit of pepper and give it a good stir.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non- stick frying pan. Once hot, add 1 tbsp of the potato mixture for each pancake, fitting four pancakes in at a time. Fry for 3 minutes on each side, flipping the pancake in-between. You will want to cook these in a few batches. Once the pancakes are cooked, remove them from the pan and put on a plate. Repeat the process for the remaining pancakes.
- For the beans, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan. Once hot, add the onions and stir, cooking for a few minutes until defrosted. Add the mixed veg and continue to stir, cooking for a couple more minutes. Add a splash of vinegar and let it bubble for another minute, then stir in the BBQ sauce, followed by the baked beans. Roughly slice up the ham, add this to the pan and let it all heat through.
- Pop the potato pancakes onto plates and spoon the cowboy beans on top. Sprinkle over the grated cheese, if using - now dig in!