Jaffa Orange, Carrot, and Fennel Soup
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
2 Jaffa Oranges, zested and juiced
10 ml olive oil
1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
500g carrots, peeled and sliced
1 litre vegetable stock
Pinch of salt (to taste)
55 ml fresh water
15 ml lemon juice
5 ml apple cider vinegar
1 g salt
- Before starting, submerge the cashews in a bowl of water and leave for at least 30 minutes to soak.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the sliced fennel and onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and Jaffa orange zest. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes until carrots are tender. Remove from the heat and stir in Jaffa orange juice and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Combine all the ingredients for the cashew cream in a blender, pulse until completely smooth.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of cashew cream and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!