Traffic light tarts from Nicole Freeman and the Kid’s Kitchen
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
1 packet ready-made puff pastry
Tin of sweetcorn
1 small red pepper, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
Handful of peas
75 -100g grated cheese
2 eggs, beaten
150ml milk or double cream
½ tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
Polenta (for sprinkling in the tins)
(Makes about 24 tartlets)
- Sprinkle some polenta in the bottom of a jam tart tray.
- Roll out the pastry till thin and cut circles using a pastry cutter or an upturned glass.
- Reroll the pastry trimmings and use the circles to line the tins.
- Put some corn, pepper, carrot and peas into each jam tart tin.
- Sprinkle over most of the grated cheese, leaving some to sprinkle on top.
- In a jug, mix together the eggs, milk, mustard and seasoning and then carefully pour into the tins trying not to spill the liquid over the sides of the pastry. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25mins at 220C/ fan 200 until golden. Serve warm or cold.