Veggie topped macaroni cheese from Alpro
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
120g butter/hard margarine
120g plain flour
1 litre Alpro Soya alternative to milk
2 tsp mustard
250g cheddar, hard cheese or cheese alternative, grated (150g in the sauce & 100g for sprinkling over the finished pasta)
- Heat the oil and add the grated parsnips and onions, then cook over a low to medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often. Take care not to let it burn, although it needs to be slightly crispy as it will be sprinkled over the finished dish.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Five minutes before the pasta is ready add in the frozen peas /sweetcorn and continue to cook.
- To make the sauce; melt the butter in a medium saucepan and add the flour, half the milk alternative and bring to the boil, stirring all the time with a small whisk to prevent lumps. Gradually add the remaining alternative milk. Allow the sauce to boil for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the mustard and 150g of the grated cheese or alternative.
- Drain the cooked pasta and peas/sweetcorn and pour into a large serving dish (approx. 39cm x 31cm) and stir through the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining 100g cheese or alternative and the parsnip and onion topping before serving.
- Delicious served with cooked broccoli or a green salad.