Full Time Meals: Moroccan Style Chickpea Stew
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tin of chopped tomatoes, or 1 small carton of passata
1 tin of chickpeas in water
1 mug of frozen butternut squash
1 mug of frozen Mediterranean vegetables
1 mug of couscous
16 dried apricots
1 reduced salt vegetable stock cube
- Peel and roughly chop the onion and garlic. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan or deep frying pan and, once hot, add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes until softened and golden brown. Then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of both the smoked paprika and curry powder to the pan. Next, add the tomato purée along with the tin of chopped tomatoes (or passata), then fill the can (or carton) with water and add this to the pan as well.
- Drain the chickpeas into a sieve and rinse under the tap, then add these to the pan along with the butternut squash and Mediterranean vegetables. Stir everything together, then bring it to a simmer so it’s bubbling gently and cook for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the couscous to a large bowl, then roughly chop the apricots and add them too. Crumble the stock cube into a mug and add the remaining 1 tsp of both smoked paprika and curry powder. Fill the mug with boiling water and stir it to dissolve the stock and spices, then pour this over the couscous, plus another 1⁄2 mug of water. Stir it all together, cover the bowl with a plate and leave it to soften for 10 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked, fluff up the couscous with a fork before spooning it onto plates along with the stew.