Sustaina-Bubble & Squeak Savoury Welsh Cakes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 White Onion, finely diced
200 g Carrot Peel
200 g Sprout Leaves
300 g Cabbage, outer leaves
2 Large Potatoes, including peel
Salt, to taste
Cracked Pepper, to taste
50 g Butter (or Vegan Alternative)
50 g Flour
- Wash and dice your potatoes (leave the skin on) Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add potatoes, and cook until tender, for about 15 minutes.
- Finely slice your left-over cabbage, sprout & carrot peelings, and add any other left over sliced peelings you have. (Skip these steps if using leftovers)
- Drain potatoes, and transfer to a bowl.
- Add butter and mash until chunky. Do not over mash the potatoes as the cakes need a bit of body & bite.
- Fry the onions in a pan with small amount of olive oil until soft, then add carrot peelings, cabbage and sprout leaves.
- Lightly fry for around 3 minutes on a medium heat then mix with the potato mash and flour. Season to taste.
- Allow to cool and then form the mixture into 8 small cakes, roughly 2 inches in size.
- Fry the cakes in a little oil for 4 minutes on each side over a medium heat until golden and crisp.