FareShare’s volunteer chef helps Yeo Valley with left over yogurt recipes
12th October 2015
12th October 2015
Monday 12 October 2015
Fareshare’s volunteer chef, Helen Scully, gets a personal thanks from Yeo Valley on their new Left-Yeovers limited edition pots, which are available from today (12 October 2015).
Helen says: “I’ve been volunteering at FareShare and helping out with recipe suggestions. Yeo Valley then asked FareShare for some warm recipe ideas using left over yogurt, so I suggested yummy winter scones – it’s a great way to use up leftovers and the scones are delicious!”
Left-Yeovers yogurt combines left over figs, carrot juice and orange juice with fresh strawberries, and are now available in Tesco stores. Helen’s recipe will go on the Yeo Valley website, along with a whole host of other suggestions.
“The Left-Yeovers idea encourages people not to throw out food that can be used – there’s always some use for it – and it’s so brilliant that Yeo Valley will donate 10p to FareShare for every pot sold.”
Helen qualified as a chef from Dublin Institute of Technology in 2012 and moved to London. She heard about FareShare and has been volunteering in the London depot since June 2015.
Now we’re expanding Helen’s recipe range! FareShare often gets deliveries of food in where it’s not immediately clear to our charity members how that food might be used, such as carrot puree, baby food, soft cheese or liquid egg – so Helen is going to put together lots of recipe ideas for the FareShare website to give our member charities fresh inspiration.
Helen’s winter scones (makes 10-12)
500g plain flour
100g caster sugar
25g baking powder
Pinch of salt
123g cold butter
250ml natural full fat yoghurt
1 egg yolk beaten, to brush the top
1. Sieve flour and mix with sugar, salt and baking powder.
2. Cube the cold butter and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in the yoghurt until it forms a soft dough, you may not need it all.
4. Roll out to 2cm in height and cut with a round cutter.
5. Brush the tops with the egg yolk and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6. Bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden on top.
7. Cool and serve with strawberry jam and clotted cream.