15 January 2021
This traditional dessert, also known as Queen of Puddings, consists of a thickened breadcrumb mixture and a layer of soft fruits, topped with a light meringue. It tastes great served with custard too.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 170oC fan, 190oC conventional, gas 5.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the Alpro Soya Original with the lemon zest, butter/hard margarine, and sugar. Then quickly bring to the boil.
3. Place the breadcrumbs in the base of a 20 x 40 x 7cm deep dish and pour the hot liquid over the top. Leave to stand for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Add the egg yolks to the dish and stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and carefully spread the fruit evenly over the top.
To make the meringue:
6. Place the egg whites in a grease-free bowl and whisk until the egg white forms soft peaks.
7. Add a spoonful of sugar at a time and whisk well after each addition. Continue doing this until all the sugar has been added.
8. Spread the meringue over the top of the dish and cook for a further 12-15 minutes until the meringue is a light golden colour.
9. Serve immediately.
An easy and classic recipe that is a great way to use up surplus plums, or other fruits, this winter.