Full Time Meals: Baked Bean Footballs
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
Makes 24 footballs
- Whack the oven on at 180C. Put the potatoes on a baking tray and cook in the hot oven for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are soft. Meanwhile, tip the baked beans into a saucepan over a low heat and stir frequently for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and the beans are really soft. Remove from the heat and pour the beans into a bowl.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, cut them in half while they are still warm and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Add this to the bowl with the beans and then grate the cheese and add this too, then mix it all together. Pop the mixture in the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled and firmed up, ball it into 24 bite-sized pieces. Pop them on a plate and leave to one side, then turn the oven temperature up to 220C.
- Into a bowl, crush the wheat biscuits to make fine crumbs with your hands. Into a second bowl, add the flour, and then into a third bowl crack the eggs and beat them with a fork.
- Grease a baking tray with the vegetable oil. Then, one at a time, coat each ball first in a little flour, then dip it into the beaten egg, and finally roll it in the wheat biscuit crumbs. Pop them on the oiled tray and roll them around a bit to lightly coat in the oil. Repeat this process for each ball.
- Place the baking tray in the hot oven and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning halfway through, until the outside is crisp and golden brown.