Pumpkin, squash, and coconut risotto from Alpro
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
3 tbsp (45ml) vegetable or mild olive oil
2 large red onions, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped or crushed
1 medium-hot chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
20g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated (optional)
275g Arborio or Carnaroli risotto rice
900g pumpkin (or squash), peeled, deseeded & cut into 1 cm chunks
250g leeks, cabbage or peas (or a mixture of each)
1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 500ml boiling water (kept hot in pan on the hob)
550ml Alpro Coconut drink
400g can/carton chickpeas, drained & rinsed
Zest & juice of 2 limes
Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Slice the onions, peel and finely chop the ginger and garlic, and deseed and chop the chili pepper. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and cook onions over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. This long slow cooking makes the onions sweeter.
- Increase the heat then add the garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for a further minute.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the pan and pour in the rice, stirring well to coat all the rice grains in oil.
- Add the pumpkin (squash) pieces and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Pour in 200ml of the hot stock and continue to cook over a moderate heat, stirring every few minutes. Once the stock has been absorbed, add the remaining stock gradually: a ladle at a time, stirring gently with each addition until absorbed. Gradually pour in the Alpro Coconut drink, 1-2 ladles at a time, stirring gently with each addition until all absorbed. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
- Pour in the chickpeas, zest & juice of the limes and season to taste.
- Serve immediately with chopped fresh coriander to garnish.
- TOP TIPS: You could use butternut squash instead of pumpkin and the Alpro Coconut drink could be switched for Alpro Soya, Almond or Oat drink. Instead of chickpeas try using black-eyed beans, cannellini beans or butter beans.